Don't talk yourself out of being uncomfortable at the gym. That's right, you SHOULD be uncomfortable to the degree that:
- you may have ask the person next to you how that machine works
- you'll have to push for the last 5 reps, even if you have to stop for a second
- you may feel awkward trying a new exercise for the first time
- you may feel silly lunging in front of other people
- you can only go a short time without getting tired
- you'll have to put your body in positions you didn't know you could.
In order to finally get comfortable in your own body, you'll have to get UNcomfortable first.